Wednesday 18 February 2009

MARYLAND RECAP

Clemson 93, Maryland 64


(Chart from Statsheet. I can't find win probability charts, but this is pretty close. I assume they are using Bill James' formula to calculate safe leads, but I might be wrong.)

One down, three to go on the list of winnable games to get to ten wins and the first round ACC tourney bye. The game was effectively over at the under 8:00 media timeout in the second half. It actually took Clemson a little while longer to pull away than I thought, but when they started pulling away they really buried the Terps.

I'm pressed for time, so a quick list of semi-formed thoughts:

  • Things learned first-hand from last night: Maryland sucks at defending the three, Maryland was looking for the open three, Maryland sucks at shooting the open three.
  • I almost feel sorry for Gary Williams, I thought he had an excellent game plan in place: run the floor all night and look for the open shot, wherever it was on the court (not to mention quite a few nice set plays resulting in easy buckets). Too bad his team can't shoot. Give a better shooting team (maybe a Boston College) the same plan and we probably have a game. I'll be watching to see if other teams are looking for open threes after breaking the press, Clemson is too good at getting back and blocking/defending when the other team goes for the layup. I think smarter team may start using space in transition for open shots.
  • But I don't feel too sorry for Gary Williams, bringing in quality recruits also falls under his job description. What has happened up there? With his success you would think this would be last of his difficulties. I know about the quarrels with the athletic department, but can that be affecting recruiting? Is Gary Williams too unbearable to play for these days? (I'm just grasping at straws here...)
  • Grievis had 5 turnovers, Stitt had 2.
  • Stitt played a quietly effective game. I haven't heard much about this, but I've been impressed with his anticipation this year, he's racking up quite a few steals. Hopefully he can stay healthy the rest of the way.
  • I'm really starting to like Andre Young, and getting less worried about replacing Rivers' output next year.
  • Clemben brought up a good point about the possibility Clemson hitting a wall as they run full-court press 35 minutes a game, every game. Still something to watch, but I don't think you can take the second half last night as anything but a positive sign heading to the last five games of the regular season.
  • Lots of talk in the blogosphere about Purnell and the Maryland connections. I have a few thought on this, but I'll save it for a more extended post, maybe for the runup to the postseason. Right now I'm not convinced Maryland is much of a threat to entice Purnell, but you can't underestimate the pull of family ties.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog about all Clemson Tiger University sports--football, basketball, baseball, along with the occasional South Carolina coot bashing.