Thursday 5 February 2009

DUKE RECAP

Fwam, since I might not hear from you in a couple days might as well post…that was the most satisfying basketball game I have watched since I became sports aware around the 1986-1987 season. You would think I would alternate between jubilation and euphoria: utterly defeating, even humiliating Duke on our homecourt is the fulfillment of a deeply-held childhood hope. Instead, I feel strangely serene.

Anyways, I have been worrying over the past week or so about Clemson’s lackluster performance against top-caliber defenses. I feel much better now, Duke absolutely has a top-ten defense and we shredded it. I think we can narrow Clemson’s problem down a little, they have struggled against teams that play good defense and are really tall. Jay Bilas (by the way, all things considered I thought Bilas did a great job with the commentary, I guess that’s easier to say when your team is beating Duke by 30) made the same point when he said Clemson struggles when teams have disrupted the vision of the perimeter players trying to pass the ball inside. This could present some problems when they play FSU, I’ll get into that in the next preview.

Some random thoughts:
  • Purnell hired a sports psychiatrist? Growing up with a psychologist in the house I’m understandably a little skeptical about potential benefits, but at the very least it indicates Purnell isn’t afraid to look stupid if he thinks it will help the team, and he’s also cool with sharing credit for success.
  • Clemson has a two game winning streak against Duke.
  • 21 games into the season, Clemson has fewer losses than Duke.
  • 7 games into the ACC season, Clemson has the same number of losses as Duke.
  • Kyle Singler looked pretty silly at the end of the game. Does Duke recruit babies or do Duke recruits become babies?

No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog about all Clemson Tiger University sports--football, basketball, baseball, along with the occasional South Carolina coot bashing.